Sure, there are a lot of things to keep in mind.
- Don’t approach a record label that is too big for you. You know if it’s too big. If they accept demo’s, go ahead and submit one but do NOT bug them about it.
- A record label doesn’t need to validate you or what you are doing. Don’t stop because people aren’t helping you.
- Start small. Play shows with your friends. Be good to everyone and if someone sucks, just don’t deal with them.
- Keep people aware of shows, songs, etc, but not so much where they get annoyed by you.
Which brings me to online promotion. In general, I think there are a few methods of online promotion.
1) Be annoying as fuck and never let people stop seeing your name. Grow faster, risk burning everyone out on you.
2) Pace yourself, grow organically. Risk people forgetting about you, but people won’t get tired of your online presence either.
Most people fall somewhere in between. Move up and down between 1 and 2, but try not to push an extreme.